Here is a heart warming, not too sugary, and really yummy recipe for the Mulled Wine season to come! 100% sure to be a hit :-)
1. Peel large sections of peel from your clementines, lemons and lime.
2. Put the sugar in a large saucepan over a medium hear, add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the clementine's juice.
3. Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, halved vanilla pod and about 30 to 35 gratings of nutmeg.
4. Stir in just enough red wine to cover the sugar and let it simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine. Bring it then to the boil.
5. Bring to the boil and keep it on for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until you've got a beautiful thichk syrup.
6. When your syrup is ready turn the heat down to low and add your star anise and the rest of the wine.
7. Gently heat the wine and after around 5 minutes ladle it into glasses and serve. You can leave your mulled wine warming up gently on a really low heat so the flavour have time to mingle with the wine and serve as and when needed.
Tip: A key step is to get the sugar and spices to infuse and blend well with the wine, thus the syrup stage!